Watermelon is a delicious way to naturally sweeten drinks while hydrating and promoting healthy detoxification in the body! I love biting into a nice slice of fresh watermelon when it is in season. The thirst quenching properties of watermelon aren’t a coincidence since they are in season during the hottest months of the year. Hydration isn’t the only health benefit of watermelon, this food is definitely a medicine as well!
Health Benefits of Watermelon:
- Watermelon contains licopene which is beneficial for both cardiovascular and bone health.
- Rich in potassium which helps bind calcium to the bones so it can be beneficial to maintaining strong bones and maintaining proper electrolyte balance in the blood.
- Citrulline is an amino acid in watermelon that has been shown to reduce fat accumulation in fat cells.
- Watermelon is full of anti-oxidants which reduce inflammation and oxidative stress in the body. The riper your melon the higher in anti-oxidants it will be.
- Watermelon is a natural diuretic that is high in essential minerals like potassium which means it increases urine output without putting stress on the kidneys or causing unnecessary vital nutrient loss. This makes it a wonderful way to re-hydrate after a hot day in the sun.
- Potassium is also important for nerve and muscle regulation. Potassium regulates the frequency and duration that our muscles contract and is vital to proper body function.
- Watermelon is high in Beta Carotene which converts in the body into vitamin A which is vital to eye, skin, mucous membrane, tooth and bone health.
- Watermelon is also high in Vitamin C, an essential nutrient for immune system health and a wonderfully protective anti-oxidant. It has also been shown to increase the speed in which wounds heal.
Health Benefits of Rosemary
- Rosemary is a great aromatic culinary herb that finds its self adding flavor and oomph to many of my drinks. Although rosemary is a warming herb, the ice, watermelon, and lime cool the body down enough that the rosemary isn’t overwhelming.
- Rosemary is a blood mover and a mental stimulant helping bring energy to the mind and encouraging clear and creative thought. I love it in my drink to encourage mental function, which I lose quickly on hot summer days.
- You can read all about the health benefits of rosemary in the Rosemary issue of Natural Herbal Living E-Magazine which you can purchase HERE.
- Rosemary should not be taken in medicinal doses by people with high blood pressure. One glass of this won’t cause any issues, but a gallon might.
Health Benefits of Lime
- Other than tasting delicious lime is a great bitter fruit which helps encourage proper digestion, liver health, and adds a wonderful tart counterpoint to the sweetness of the watermelon.
- Lime is high in Vitamin C adding to the anti-oxidant powerhouse of the watermelon.
Now how can you enjoy all of these delicious flavors in one place? Try this recipe and let me know what you think!
Watermelon Rosemary Lime Infused Water
- 1 16 oz. canning jar or two 8 oz canning jars
- 1⁄2 cup of fresh watermelon cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 a medium lime cut into slices
- 12 sprigs of fresh rosemary, cut into 12” pieces
- Add the watermelon chunks, lime slices and fresh rosemary to your jar. Next, use a spoon or a fork
- to mash them up a bit to let the juices out.
- Next, fill the jar with water, place the cover on and refrigerate overnight for the best flavor.
- *1 16 oz. jar = 2 servings.
**If you’d prefer to use a larger or smaller canning jar, simply double or cut the recipe ingredients in half and refrigerate overnight
- 15 Natural Life Hacks Using Tea - August 12, 2014
- Gut Soothing Herbal Tea Blend - August 7, 2014
- Heath Benefits of Tea – Camellia sinensis Materia Medica - August 5, 2014
- Honey and Hemp Shampoo Bar Recipe and Cold Process Soap Making Book Review - July 17, 2014
- Watermelon Rosemary Lime Infused Water - July 10, 2014
- How to Teach Your Toddler About Money - July 1, 2014
- How To Eat Gluten Free On Vacation - June 26, 2014
- Crockpot Chicharon and Black Bean Tacos Recipe - June 25, 2014
- Natural Herbal Living Magazine – Print Edition - June 20, 2014
- GlassDharma Straws – Review and Giveaway - June 14, 2014