Having grown up in Arizona I LOVE Mexican food! I miss it often since I can’t eat peppers (they don’t love me at all) but a friend asked about Chicharon and if I had eaten it this way before and I figured, yeah, why not. Now she made her pork rinds fresh with pasture raised meat from the farm - here is a recipe on how to do that. Obviously this is the best way to guarantee your meat was humanely raised and fed good foods, and to be sure there is no MSG, gluten, or other surprise additions to your pork rinds ( aka chicharones). I got lucky and stumbled on some organic pork rinds at Whole Foods. Its good to live in the most paleo-centric state in the US. I also bought organic, GMO free corn tortillas at whole foods.
I went to the local mexican market and picked up the rest of the ingredients and made this simple yet delicious dinner! The whole family ate it up.
Crockpot Chicharon and Black Bean Tacos Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds of chicharonnes (pork rinds) – if you find organic free range pork rinds scoop those bad boys up! I found some at whole foods and figured I should try them, after all, pork rinds. Are pork rinds healthy? Marks Daily Apple weighs in. Be sure whatever you buy is MSG free and gluten free if you have a gluten intolerance.
- 4 cans of organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of water or chicken stock
- 1/3 cup of epazote – buy it organic here
- Salt to taste
To serve, you’ll need:
- Corn tortillas (GMO free, organic of course)
- Lettuce greens if you are grain free
- Shredded Chihuahua Cheese – you are most likely to find this at your local mexican market (or mozzarella)
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Place whole chicharonnes, the beans, 2 cups of water, and the epazote in the crockpot. Cook on high for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, take out the chicharon and shred/cut into small pieces. Add these back to he crockpot, and add salt to taste.
- Warm up the desired amount of tortillas. Place filling in center of taco. Top with shredded cheese and cilantro. Enjoy!
- Natural Living Monday - October 26, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - October 19, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - October 12, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - October 5, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - September 28, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - September 21, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - September 14, 2014
- BPA in receipts? What you need to know. - September 11, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - September 8, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - August 31, 2014