Winter breeds dry itchy skin. I see it every year around this time. Dry Itchy Skin Salve sales go through the roof and I can hardly keep it on the shelves! My body butter recipes are suddenly incredibly popular and the anti-dandruff shampoo post is off the charts so here I am, with a round up for you of all the dry skin remedies I offer, and some basic solutions that you have in your own home.
Basic Solutions for Dry Itchy Skin
- Oil. Yes you read that correctly oil. The body naturally produces oil in the skin to protect us from external invaders from pathogens, chemicals, and foreign debris our skin NEEDS oil for protection. When our skin is depleted of natural oils (sebum) it gets dry, cracked, infected, pussy (*edit* filled with puss for those of you thinking something else 😛 ) and generally unhealthy. Oil is your friend. Olive oil has a very similar composition as the sebum in our skin and is a wonderful way to replace lost oils from frequent hand washing and overly aggressive soap. Jojoba oil is wonderful for more dry, cracked, and unhealthy skin. You can read more about different oils benefits of the skin in my Oil Cleansing Method post, or make your own herbal body oil to get the benefits of herbs in addition to these wonderful oils.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. What can’t apple cider vinegar do? Apple cider vinegar diluted on a cotton ball or wash cloth can help reduce the itch from skin. It is especially soothing to infected cracked skin that occurs in eczema and psoriasis.
- Oatmeal is soothing and moisturizing and can help relieve itch and nerve pain caused by dry cracked skin. Grind up some oatmeal in the coffee grinder and put it in the bathtub to help ease angry skin. This is wonderful for a person with chickenpox and shingles too.
- Coconut oil is also in the category of “what can’t this amazing thing do?”. Coconut oil has wonderful saturated fatty acids and alpha linoleic acids (ALA) that are wonderful at nourishing, repairing, and rejuvenated tortured and abused skin. Its moisturizing, nourishing, regenerating, and antimicrobial benefits make it perfect for the skin. You can even make whipped coconut oil to make it feel like lotion.
- Honey is an ancient beauty remedy that has been used since before recorded time. It is moisturizing, soothing, antimicrobial and just amazing. Make a simple honey mask by just putting honey on your skin, let it sit for 5 minutes and wipe it off with a warm wash cloth. You can add moisturizing and soothing herbs like lavender and rose to the mix to make a beautifully fragrant and floral honey mask.
Natural Mamma’s Dry Skin Solutions
- My Natural Mamma Dry Itchy Skin Salve was created specifically for my daughters eczema, but I can’t market it as that because the FDA doesn’t like people making claims. Suffice it to say it is a nourishing, moisturizing, and rejuvenating salve that is perfect for dry cracked winter skin. My current batch has rose oil in it instead of geranium, which is actually better for the skin but more expensive. I used rose absolute in honor of Natural Herbal Living Magazine’s Rose issue this month. You can purchase it here.
- Whipped Coconut Oil is the PERFECT thing for normal dry skin. You can even add your own skin specific essential oils to improve the experience. This recipe is SO simple, anyone with a mixer can make it.
- The next hard core DIY step up from whipped coconut oil is DIY Body Butter. This body butter is ultra moisturizing, silky smooth, and feels amazing. You can customize it with the essential oils of your choice, or make it with herb infused oils to add some herbal goodness to the mix.
- Oil Cleansing Method can me customized to clean, nourish, and heal any type of skin. You can choose the oil combination and essential oils to meet your specific skin care needs. I used to have crazy, zitty, oily skin and oil cleansing method has been a Godsend for me. I love it! Don’t want to make your own cleansing oil? L.C. of Acirema makes THE BEST herbal oil cleansing oil and lotion EVER. I use it instead of making my own now because hers is just perfect. If you order from her shop use the code LUCKYMAMMA5 for a 5% discount!
- Make your own herb infused bath oils! You can use any oil combination you like. My current favorite is equal parts olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and almond oil infused in marshmallow root, rose petals, and calendula blossoms.
- This honey oatmeal face scrub is exfoliating, moisturizing, nourishing, and will help remove blemishes. It smells amazing too!
- You can make your own amazing body scrubs. Each of these is exfoliating and moisturizing but has different actions otherwise. The Lavender Rose Body Polish is super moisturizing, floral and lovely. This Coffee Honey Sugar Scrub is invigorating to the mind and body, and can help bust cellulite.
What is your favorite dry itchy skin remedy?
This post shared at Wildcrafting Wednesday
- Natural Living Monday - October 26, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - October 19, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - October 12, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - October 5, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - September 28, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - September 21, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - September 14, 2014
- BPA in receipts? What you need to know. - September 11, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - September 8, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - August 31, 2014