Are you looking for a sugar-free and guilt-free summer dessert to serve at your next picnic or cook-out? What if I told you that this dessert also contains fresh fruit, is healthy, and your kids will love it?
Let me introduce you to the Watermelon Cake.
Oh, and did I mention that this cake only takes 5 minutes to prepare? If you don’t include the fruit on top, it only has 3 ingredients. This cake isn’t messing around. Simple, delicious, and nutritious… it’s the real deal.
I had a friend make a version of this cake for the 4th of July weekend, and I was amazed at how simple, yet flavorful and healthy it was. I found similar recipes floating around Pinterest, but those recipes call for Cool Whip, so I wanted to come up with a healthier option. I made a simple, yet delicious frosting that contains only heavy whipping cream and raw honey. I discovered this easy frosting last month when I was reading about Chocolate Covered Strawberries with Whipped Cream (yum!).
- A Whole Watermelon
- 1 Pint Organic Pasture Raised Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1-2 tbsp Raw Honey
- Berries, kiwi, or slivered nuts (optional)
Cut off both ends of the watermelon. Depending on the size of your watermelon, you’ll be cutting away between 1-3″ from each end. Take the center of the watermelon and stand it up so it sits flatly on the flesh side. Using a knife, remove the rind by cutting the inside of the watermelon in a circular motion, just beyond the rind, to detach the flesh from the rind. You should be left with a circular, tall shape of watermelon flesh. I cut my watermelon in half to be able to stack it and add an extra layer of frosting, but that is completely optional.
In a medium bowl, combine heavy cream and honey. Using a stand mixer, hand mixer or immersion blender, beat heavy cream until light and fluffy.
Place the first piece of watermelon on a large plate or cake stand. Spread a layer of whipped cream onto the watermelon circle, then place the second circle on top. Frost around the sides and top of the cake until covered and smooth. Decorate the cake with berries or fruit.
This would be the perfect addition to an eco-friendly birthday party or bar-b-cue!
Have you ever made a Watermelon cake before? What is your favorite healthy dessert?
- 15 Natural Life Hacks Using Tea - August 12, 2014
- Gut Soothing Herbal Tea Blend - August 7, 2014
- Heath Benefits of Tea – Camellia sinensis Materia Medica - August 5, 2014
- Honey and Hemp Shampoo Bar Recipe and Cold Process Soap Making Book Review - July 17, 2014
- Watermelon Rosemary Lime Infused Water - July 10, 2014
- How to Teach Your Toddler About Money - July 1, 2014
- How To Eat Gluten Free On Vacation - June 26, 2014
- Crockpot Chicharon and Black Bean Tacos Recipe - June 25, 2014
- Natural Herbal Living Magazine – Print Edition - June 20, 2014
- GlassDharma Straws – Review and Giveaway - June 14, 2014