Do you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep? Do you suffer from restlessness or insomnia?
Everyone needs sleep to restore and heal their body. Sleep deprivation can be incredibly disruptive to leading a happy and healthy life. Instead of turning to medications that can have serious and detrimental side effects, let’s explore some natural alternatives that can help you fall asleep, and stay that way. Essential oils are naturally derived from plants. They’re not created in a lab, there are very few, if any side effects, and they can be tremendously helpful for a variety of ailments and diseases. They can help you feel peaceful, reduce your stress, anxiety and help clear your mind so you can relax.
Below is a list of the best essential oils to help you have a better nights sleep:
Lavender Lavender helps balance the body. It helps ease anxiety, headaches, heart irregularities, mental clarity, and nervous tension, while promoting peace, love, and health. It has a sweet, floral aroma that puts you at ease and helps you relax. To use lavender to aid in sleep, try the following methods:
- Draw a warm bath, add 1 cup epsom salt and 10 drops of lavender essential oil and allow to dissolve. Soak for at least 20 minutes and allow your mind to let go of the worry and stress of the day.
- 20 minutes before bedtime, apply 1-2 drops of lavender essential oil to the spine, bottoms of feet, wrists and back of the neck.
- Diffuse into the air before bedtime.
Serenity Serenity essential oil is a calming blend of lavender, sweet marjoram, roman chamomile, ylang ylang, sandalwood, and vanilla bean extract. This blend is a great remedy for tension, nerves and depression. To use Serenity, try:
- Make linen spray with Serenity essential oil, and spray onto your sheets and pillow before lying down.
- Apply 1-2 drops topically to the temples, wrists and bottom of feet.
- Create a detoxing foot soak: add 1/4 cup Epsom salt, 1/4 cup sea salt and 1/2 cup baking soda into a deep dish or clean container large enough to put your feet into. Fill with water as hot as you can stand it, and add in 5-10 drops of Serenity essential oil. Soak feet for 30 minutes.
Roman Chamomile Used in ancient times to empower and provide a clear mind to Romans preparing for battle, Roman Chamomile is cleansing, helps with insomnia, and reduces hormonal imbalances. Roman Chamomile has sedative-like properties that may help reduce nightmares. Try these methods to use Roman Chamomile to help sleep:
- Combine 1-2 drops Roman Chamomile essential oil with 1 tbsp fractionated coconut oil and massage onto back, legs, feet and arms.
- Diffuse into the air before bedtime.
- Combine with Lavender or Serenity essential oil to create a linen spray.
Other Suggestions for Insomnia Try these applications if you are experiencing insomnia:
- Combine 6 drops of lavender with 6 drops of citrus bliss in 1/4 cup carrier oil and apply it on the bottoms of the feet, around big toes, to the back of the neck and around the navel.
For Children For children whom are experiencing trouble sleeping, dilute a few drops of lavender or serenity essential oil with a carrier oil, and massage into the bottoms of the feet and the legs.
How do you use Essential Oils for sleep and relaxation?
Do you love herbs? Do you want to learn more? Would you like to build a long, lasting relationship with the plants and see how to make common herbal recipes like this?
You can read all about the magazine, my vision, and more here!
Hi, this is Andrea from Homemade for Elle. I am thrilled to be a contributor to Natural Living Mamma!
I live in New Mexico with my husband and my two-year-old daughter. After my daughter was born, I jumped on the “green and crunchy” bandwagon, and have been striving to eliminate toxic products from our lives. I make my own household cleaners and beauty products. I create wholesome, delicious meals from real food ingredients, and keep processed junk out of my home. I have a background in finance, and strive to live a debt free life (although I have a ways to go). I enjoy reading, writing and living in ways that are environmentally friendly and frugal. I love taking pictures of nature, food and my daughter. I garden, read labels, and play the piano. I believe by living simply and naturally, we become happy and healthy. If you’re into that kind of thing (and I assume you are, because you’re here, right?), please follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- 15 Natural Life Hacks Using Tea - August 12, 2014
- Gut Soothing Herbal Tea Blend - August 7, 2014
- Heath Benefits of Tea – Camellia sinensis Materia Medica - August 5, 2014
- Honey and Hemp Shampoo Bar Recipe and Cold Process Soap Making Book Review - July 17, 2014
- Watermelon Rosemary Lime Infused Water - July 10, 2014
- How to Teach Your Toddler About Money - July 1, 2014
- How To Eat Gluten Free On Vacation - June 26, 2014
- Crockpot Chicharon and Black Bean Tacos Recipe - June 25, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - June 22, 2014
- Natural Herbal Living Magazine – Print Edition - June 20, 2014