Christine, owner of Aquae Sulis, has been making handcrafted soaps since 2006. She makes all of her soaps by hand, in small batches to maintain quality control.
Aquae Sulis offers bar soaps, liquid soaps and handmade body care products on their website.
I was sent three soaps to review along with a Peppermint lotion bar.
Peppermint Swirl Natural Soap:
The peppermint swirl soap is a beautiful white and pink pattern. It is naturally colored with minerals instead of toxic dyes which is already a bonus in my opinion. It contains Salt, coconut oil, castor oil, lye, water, peppermint essential oil and mineral oxide. These ingredients are simple, natural, safe and effective. I love the subtle, not over powering scent and the salt makes a beautiful skin exfoliant.
Morning Java Natural Soap:
The morning java soap is a wonderful blend of olive oil, lard, lye coconut oil, castor oil, water, ground coffee and bees wax. It is a great exfoliant and helps to wake up and get going in the morning. Even though I stopped drinking coffee, my skin sure loves this soap, and I will admit, I just stand in the shower and sniff it some times. It makes nice soapy suds too which is fun. I have not experienced that in a handmade soap in a long time.
Lemon Anise Natural Soap:
This soap smells wonderful but is not overpowering. It is also a scrubby bar containing salt, coconut oil, castor oil, lye, water, lemongrass essential oil, anise essential oil, and mineral oxide. This is another beautiful soap and would be perfect to keep in the guest bathroom or give as a gift.
Things I like about Aquae Sulis
- The ingredients are simple and natural
- They work well, exfoliate and cleanse naturally and effectively
- They don’t dry out my skin
- 2/3 of them are made with real essential oils
- They are beautiful. Perfect for gifts, guest bathrooms, and display as well as using them day to day in the shower.
Things I would improve
- 1/3 of the soaps are made with fragrance oils, which I am very allergic to. I understand that fragrance oils are a necessity to offer the variety she does. When I communicated I have issues with them she was very thoughtful in finding soaps I could use and enjoy without any reactions. I did not have any chemical reactions with any of the products.
All in all I really enjoyed these products. I love their simplicity and effectiveness. They are beautiful and contain a great variety of soap “flavors” for everyone to enjoy. The price is right on par with what I was paying at the farmers market but these bars are much bigger!