Festive Traditions – A Real Food Guide To The Holidays is the newest cook book published by Modern Alternative Mama. It is written by Jill Marks, the manager of the Modern Alternative Kitchen site with recipe contributions from some of the other MAK writers.
This book is a simple compilation of over 40 easy real food recipes. It is the perfect go-to book when the weather is cold and the family is visiting. These real food recipes are so good even your “SAD” eating families will be begging for more.
Most of the recipes are gluten free with a good amount being grain free as well. They also keep the dairy to a minimum which is a big bonus to this Paleo gal. If a recipe contains sweeteners they are naturally sweetened either by fruit, honey or maple syrup. This is a true real food cook book.
Some of my favorite recipes are:
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Spicy Nuts
- Coconut Hot Chocolate
- Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger Cream
- Green Bean Casserole (not from a can!)
- Crockpot Stuffed Apples
- 1 C Nuts (any combination of soaked/crunchy nuts will do)
- 1 Egg white
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp Cumin
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder (I used 1 Tsp because I love garlic)
- ½ Tsp Cayenne Pepper (I used paprika)
- ½ Tsp Sea Salt
- ½ Tsp Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300
- Whisk the egg whites until they are fluffy and white, then add the olive oil and combine.
- Add nuts to egg mixture and stir until the nuts are evenly coated.
- Add spice mixture and stir to coat evenly
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes..
- Remove from the oven and enjoy.
I really wish I had this book before Thanksgiving! It is so hard to find good, real food recipes for foods you would traditionally eat at a holiday meal without all of the junk. This book with its emphasis on real, traditionally prepared foods really covers its bases on simple but delicious traditional holiday meals. We will definitely be incorporating these recipes into our Christmas Dinner.
Would you like a copy of Festive Traditions?
You can get your own copy here. Jill gave my readers a special code to use on check out to save some money! The code MAMMA25 will save you 25% off the price of the book and is good until December 18th of this year.
Would you like to win a copy? Jill was kind enough to give me a copy to share with one lucky reader! Enter the rafflecoptor below.
What traditional holiday recipe would YOU like to see a real food version of?
- 15 Natural Life Hacks Using Tea - August 12, 2014
- Gut Soothing Herbal Tea Blend - August 7, 2014
- Heath Benefits of Tea – Camellia sinensis Materia Medica - August 5, 2014
- Honey and Hemp Shampoo Bar Recipe and Cold Process Soap Making Book Review - July 17, 2014
- Watermelon Rosemary Lime Infused Water - July 10, 2014
- How to Teach Your Toddler About Money - July 1, 2014
- How To Eat Gluten Free On Vacation - June 26, 2014
- Crockpot Chicharon and Black Bean Tacos Recipe - June 25, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - June 22, 2014
- Natural Herbal Living Magazine – Print Edition - June 20, 2014