Are you a food snob? An elitist? Un-democratic for thinking that organic food and pastured meats are better for you?
In his recent TIME magazine article Dr. Oz says YES.
Who is Dr. Oz? He is a doctor with a syndicated TV show that is promoted by Oprah. Daytime TV watchers love him! I hear at least once a day how “Dr. Oz says…” Sometimes these things make me cringe, sometimes I think “thank goodness at least someone on daytime TV is talking about this.” until now.
Dr. Oz was a supporter of organic foods. Just a few weeks ago, in reference to the Stanford study, Dr. Oz said:
“The headlines got it wrong. Today I am talking about what may be emerging as one of the greatest threats to your childrens health. Pesticides in your childrens food”
This is based off of research done by Stanford in a four year study comparing Organic and Standard food. They came to the conclusion that nutritionally these foods are comparable. The big difference is that Organic foods are produced without pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, artificial hormones, antibiotics and other physical toxins. (see the write up of the study here)
Do you know what the suffix -icide means? It meas to kill. These -icides are meant to kill bugs, fungus, and weeds but they are not selective. They are very harmful to our bodies as well.
“Pesticides are designed to (in most cases) kill pests. Many pesticides can also pose risks to people.” –EPA
How about a short list of health problems scientifically linked with pesticides and peer published scientific articles to back them up? See the full post here.
- Birth Defects
- Neurological effects including autism, reduced IQ, learning disability, poor memory
- Cancer “Sheila Zahm and Mary Ward, summarized the studies of pesticides and childhood cancer and concluded that the following childhood cancers were linked to pesticide exposure: leukemia, neuroblastoma, Wilms tumor, soft-tissue sarcoma, Ewing’s sarcoma, non-Hodgkins’s lymphoma, and cancers of the brain, colorectum and testes. They noted, It is noteworthy that many of the reported increased risks are of greater magnitude than those observed in studies of pesticide-exposed adults, suggesting that children may be particularly sensitive to the carcinogenic effects of pesticides. (Zahm and Ward, 1998, Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 106)”
- Hormone Disruption like endometriosis, undescended testicals, precocious puberty in girls, reduced sperm counts and fertility problems.
- Food Allergies
“There were no long-term studies of health outcomes of people consuming organic versus conventionally produced food; the duration of the studies involving human subjects ranged from two days to two years.”
“The review yielded scant evidence that conventional foods posed greater health risks than organic products. While researchers found that organic produce had a 30 percent lower risk of pesticide contamination than conventional fruits and vegetables, organic foods are not necessarily 100 percent free of pesticides. What’s more, as the researchers noted, the pesticide levels of all foods generally fell within the allowable safety limits. Two studies of children consuming organic and conventional diets did find lower levels of pesticide residues in the urine of children on organic diets, though the significance of these findings on child health is unclear. Additionally, organic chicken and pork appeared to reduce exposure to antibiotic-resistant bacteria, but the clinical significance of this is also unclear.”
This is what my brain and intuition are telling me:
- Antibiotic Resistant bacteria are spreading like wild fire and we have no medical way to kill them. They are evolving faster than the pharmacorps are making new drugs.
- 80% of the antibiotics in the united states are given to animals for preventative measures because they live in such unsanitary conditions and are fed such unhealthy feed that they need the antibiotics to live long enough to eat.
- That is really gross.
- Pesticides are toxic. They are made to kill bugs, which are biological beings like us. Bugs actually have a higher resistant to poisons than we do because of their anatomy. This is why Monsanto is developing GM crops that kill the insects from the inside.
- The GM food is “standard” non organic produce too. So they are sprayed with toxic petrochemicals AND are designed to tear your gut up and kill you…erm… I mean… bugs.
- “”Monsanto should not have to vouchsafe the safety of biotech food. Our interest is in selling as much of it as possible. Assuring its safety is the F.D.A.’s job” – Phil Angell, Monsanto’s director of corporate communications.
What my body is telling me:
- I was eating a Standard American Diet full of processed, refined foods, chemicals and junk. No organic because I had better things to spend money on. Not really even eating whole foods.
- I was infertile with PCOS, Endometriosis, Prolapsed uterus, and it was impossible to loose weight no matter how hard I tried. I tracked religiously, I exercised like a mad woman and I kept gaining weight.
- I was lethargic, depressed, and unable to function well.
- I switched to eating hormone and antibiotic free meat (not organic, not pastured just hormone and antibiotic free) and eating whole foods.
- I bought the “Dirty Dozen” , fruits and vegetables with the highest pesticide residues, Organically or just did not eat them.
- I bought the “Clean Fifteen” vegetables more.
- I washed my produce with vinegar that helps remove pesticides from the plant matter.
- I still ate junk food occasionally, lots of grains and stuff I don’t eat now.
- I got pregnant in less than a year of the doctor telling me there was no hope and to start saving for fertility treatments.
- I switched to eating a more organic, more pastured meat, lower grain diet and got pregnant with #2 after my second post partum period.
- 3 years later I have not had an ovarian cyst, endometriosis pain or complications, my periods are regular and pain free, my acne is cleared, I am losing weight and I am healthier than I can remember ever being.
Does eating organic food make me an elitist? Un-democratic? Part of the 1%? A member of the food Borjuase?
- Avoid conventional foods on the “dirty dozen” list.
- Eat more on the “clean fifteen list”.
- Eat seasonally and locally as much as you can.
- Shop the sales. A lot of grocery stores loss lead with produce.
- If you eat meat at least get hormone and antibiotic free meat.
- “Just Eat Real Food”-Underground Wellness
- Write up on the Stanford Food Study
- The Cornucopia Institutes article “Dr. Oz in Time Magazine Slandering Families Who Choose Safe, Organic Food for Their Children — Off-Base/Ill Advised” This includes exerps of Dr. Oz’s article in TIME magazine and rebuttals.
- Twenty One Questions for Dr. Oz by Natural News
- Dear Dr. Oz, Why Are You Attacking Organic Food by Natures Nurture (this has lots of videos about Dr. Oz discussing how organic food is better)
- 15 Natural Life Hacks Using Tea - August 12, 2014
- Gut Soothing Herbal Tea Blend - August 7, 2014
- Heath Benefits of Tea – Camellia sinensis Materia Medica - August 5, 2014
- Honey and Hemp Shampoo Bar Recipe and Cold Process Soap Making Book Review - July 17, 2014
- Watermelon Rosemary Lime Infused Water - July 10, 2014
- How to Teach Your Toddler About Money - July 1, 2014
- How To Eat Gluten Free On Vacation - June 26, 2014
- Crockpot Chicharon and Black Bean Tacos Recipe - June 25, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - June 22, 2014
- Natural Herbal Living Magazine – Print Edition - June 20, 2014