Homemade Vanilla Extract. Could there be anything more rewarding, delicious, decadent and wonderful?
Vanilla Extract is used in my home almost every day to flavor my coffee, in baking, sweet treats, I even use it in my bath salts! The Organic Pure Vanilla Extract you get in the grocery stores are expensive, and at the rate we go through it I just can’t afford it!
Homemade Vanilla Extract has a high upfront cost and takes 4-6 weeks to get a good, flavorful extract BUT you can just keep adding more alcohol to your container. Six to eight Vanilla beans can provide vanilla extract for your whole family for a year!
- 4-8 Organic Vanilla Beans (the more you use the faster it will be done)
- 1 Quart at least 40 proof Alcohol (Vodka is what most people use because of its neutral flavor but it is delicious in Rum and Whiskey too)
- Slice Vanilla Beans down the middle so the seeds can escape from the pod.
- Slice the beans in half and place in a Quart sized mason jar
- Pour alcohol of choice into the jar filling it with about an inch left to the top. Place a lid on the container and shake vigorously. Shake daily until it is a rich brown color.
- Decant Vanilla Extract into bottles for daily use.
- Add more alcohol, shake vigorously and repeat.
- You should be able to reuse your beans three or four times before you stop getting a good extract
To give this as a gift you can either decant your homemade extract into single use bottles and give them to your friends like that OR you can put two vanilla beans in a single serving glass bottle with alcohol over it and give them directions on how to make their own extract. It is the gift that keeps on giving!
I like to reuse glass bottles and put a cute piece of cloth on top with a label that tells what it is and how to use it.
Feel free to print this to use as a label!
You can buy organic fair trade vanilla beans at your local health food store or at Mountain Rose Herbs.
Have you made Vanilla Extract at home? What kind of liqueur do you like to use? I am loving my rum extract right now.
- 15 Natural Life Hacks Using Tea - August 12, 2014
- Gut Soothing Herbal Tea Blend - August 7, 2014
- Heath Benefits of Tea – Camellia sinensis Materia Medica - August 5, 2014
- Honey and Hemp Shampoo Bar Recipe and Cold Process Soap Making Book Review - July 17, 2014
- Watermelon Rosemary Lime Infused Water - July 10, 2014
- How to Teach Your Toddler About Money - July 1, 2014
- How To Eat Gluten Free On Vacation - June 26, 2014
- Crockpot Chicharon and Black Bean Tacos Recipe - June 25, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - June 22, 2014
- Natural Herbal Living Magazine – Print Edition - June 20, 2014