Fall is in the air and that means kids going back to school! I asked my friend Erin, teacher, mother of two and Co-Editor at Simply Real Moms for some simple, green, back to school tips.
Go Back-to-School in GREEN Style
It’s that time of year again- time for kids to go back-to-school! Raising your kids to make green choices involves making lifestyle choices, including as many aspects of their life as possible. Sometimes that’s harder then it sounds! Here are some tips to be more eco-friendly this year when sending your children to school.
1. Reduce your carbon footprint. Your child might not like to ride the bus, or you might live close enough to school that busing isn’t an option. But that doesn’t mean your child needs a ride to and from school every day! Try walking together or even starting a carpool with other parents. Riding the city bus is an option in some areas!
2. Be smart about packing lunches. Sure, it might be easy to grab a juice box and prepackaged foods, throw them in a paper lunch sack and send your child on her way. You can make lunch a very green meal in ways other then sending salad, though! Use a lunchbox and reusable containers. I love the Skip Hop lunchboxes and Planet Wise snack bags! You can even use a thermos for drinks! Other children will probably even be jealous of your child’s neat lunch gadgets and ask their parents to pack lunches in reusable containers!
3. Back-to-school clothes. Before buying new clothes, check out your local consignment shops for clothes. Some schools who use uniforms even offer uniform exchanges where you take the uniform that no longer fits and exchange it for a different size. If you are set on buying new clothes, you can still pass down your child’s older clothes to a consignment shop or families you know.
4. Buy local. Support your local shops! Buy clothes for school and food for lunches from locally owned shops when you can!
These are some ways I try to make eco-friendly choices when sending my children to school. Do you have any back-to-school tips for staying green?
Erin is a single mom of two who is also a teacher. She is a co-editor ofSimply Real Moms, an online parenting magazine.
This blog shared on: The Gathering Spot, Homestead barn hop, Homesteader Blog Carnival, Frugal “I Did It” Tuesday, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Living Green Tuesday, Tiny Tip Tuesday, Domestically Divine, Encourage One Another, Healthy 2 Day, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Homemaking Linkup, Super Link Party, Natural Living Linkup
- 15 Natural Life Hacks Using Tea - August 12, 2014
- Gut Soothing Herbal Tea Blend - August 7, 2014
- Heath Benefits of Tea – Camellia sinensis Materia Medica - August 5, 2014
- Honey and Hemp Shampoo Bar Recipe and Cold Process Soap Making Book Review - July 17, 2014
- Watermelon Rosemary Lime Infused Water - July 10, 2014
- How to Teach Your Toddler About Money - July 1, 2014
- How To Eat Gluten Free On Vacation - June 26, 2014
- Crockpot Chicharon and Black Bean Tacos Recipe - June 25, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - June 22, 2014
- Natural Herbal Living Magazine – Print Edition - June 20, 2014