Summer is in full swing here in Colorado. With temps consistently in the 90’s and 100’s we are swimming A LOT . I have also noticed a lot of friends and their kids are getting ear infections, and the American Academy of Pediatrics has changed their recommendations on how to treat ear infections and fluid in the ear without first prescribing antibiotics, so here is my recipe for ear oil.
- 3 cloves fresh garlic (the stronger smelling the better)
- 4 tbsp Olive oil (or other carrier oil)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil (straight from the garden fresh is ideal) or 10-15 drops basil essential oil (I find the EO works better than the plant material because of the way we are infusing the oil, but the basil plant matter is better than nothing)
Finely chop garlic and basil and saute on low heat in the olive oil for 15-20 minutes being sure not to burn the garlic or basil while doing so. Remove from heat and strain out the plant matter. If you chose to use EO instead of the basil plant (or with the basil plant) then add it once the mixture has cooled. Store in a cool dry place for up to 3 months.
Apply oil to the back of the ear and along the neck down the eustachian tubes. You can also put a dab of oil on a cotton ball and place the cotton ball gently on the inside of the ear. NEVER put oil directly into your ear.
The garlic is a natural anti inflammatory, antiviral and anti bacterial and will help reduce swelling and fight any infection. Basil has similar properties and is ideal for treating inner and middle ear infections. If there is just fluid build up frankincense is wonderful for reducing inflammation and allowing the ear to properly drain and heal and can also be added to this mixture int he same proportions as the basil essential oil.
You may smell like some delicious Italian food but this really works! N, M and I all had some ear pain and fluid build up when swimming season started caused by a combination of swimming, allergies and all the smoke in the air. I used this oil on M and I every morning and evening and it helped clear up the pain and fluid build up. N being a baby, needed a little more attention. I am not sure if he actually had an infection or what, but I applied the ear oil to the back of his ear/side of his neck every 2-3 hours for 2 days and his ears stopped bugging him.
If your child can not fight off the ear infection/pain after “two or three days” according to the AAP, then you should consult your doctor just to check and make sure there is nothing else going on.
That is it! Simple and straight forward.
Do you have any good natural treatments for ear infection/pain?
***Announcing Natural Herbal Living Magazine 2013***
Do you love herbs? Do you want to learn to build a wonderful lasting relationship with twelve herbs a year? You will learn all about the herb, essential oil, flower essence, then you get to learn all about how several different experienced herbalists use this wonderful herb.
PLUS by pre-ordering on Kickstarter, you save money! Who doesn’t love saving money?
Read more about this great magazine coming out September 2013 here!
*Note* I use doTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential oils and could not be happier. Every time I try another brand I am sorely disappointed. You can get them here. Ask me how to get a great discount to better naturally treat your family!
This has been shared on: Living Green Tuesdays, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Healthy 2day, Super Link Party, Works For Me Wednesday, Natural Living Link Up, Your Green Resource, TGIF, The Gathering Spot, Dare to Share
- Natural Living Monday - September 14, 2014
- BPA in receipts? What you need to know. - September 11, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - September 8, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - August 31, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - August 24, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - August 17, 2014
- 15 Natural Life Hacks Using Tea - August 12, 2014
- Gut Soothing Herbal Tea Blend - August 7, 2014
- Heath Benefits of Tea – Camellia sinensis Materia Medica - August 5, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - August 3, 2014