SAM_2790

As I said in a previous post, I am poo free and love it! My husband on the other hand, is not. He really prefers to use shampoo to wash his hair daily, which is fine, except the shampoo he “needs” to use is a load of toxic crap. He ran out about two months ago so I decided, instead of spending almost $20 on a bottle of carcinogens I would try out some home made shampoo recipes and see if that helps him with his very bad dandruff.

style="display:inline-block;width:728px;height:90px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-7411372147157292"
data-ad-slot="9043912608">

I tried a few recipes that were okay and tried a shampoo bar too. He was not a fan of the shampoo bar, he said it was too drying. The other recipes did not help with his dandruff. My friend mentioned she uses the Coconut Milk Shampoo by One Good Thing by Jillee and loves it so I made a batch sans essential oils and again it worked well to clean the hair, but not great with the dandruff.

I modified the recipe a little bit for our specific needs and this is what I came up with. My husbands hair is nice and clean without any dandruff or itchiness! Score 1 for natural mamma kind.

Home Made Anti-Dandruff Shampoo

Recipe Type: Homemade Body Care
Author: Amanda Klenner – Natural Living Mamma
Prep time:
Total time:

This home-made anti-dandruff shampoo will nourish your hair while soothing your scalp using the power of essential oils. This is a must-have recipe for anyone with dandruff. The recipe is also easily modified for other head and scalp concerns.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 C Coconut Milk (You can make your own but I am too lazy and used store bought)
  • 1/2 C Liquid Castile Soap (like Dr. Bronner’s from my affiliate at amazon)
  • 1/4 C Vegetable Glycerin (for thickness) **Edit** I find it leaves less of an “oily” feel if you use 1/2 C Glycerin so play with it and do what is best for you)
  • 2 tsp coconut, almond, or jojoba oil (I have used almond and coconut and in the summer when the bathroom stays warm coconut is the way to go)
  • 3-4 drops each of these 100% Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils (you want the good stuff, fragrance oils can be toxic and you will not get the benefits you do from pure therapeutic grade essential oils like doTERRA): Melaleuca, Geranium, Ylang Ylang, Basil, Frankincense
Instructions
  1. Combine all the ingredients, mix well and put into the bottle you will use. I tried re-using an old shampoo bottle but it apparently had a cracked bottom and leaked my shampoo on the counter SO I switched to a peri-bottle that I got from the hospital and never used after having N, and it makes a very good shampoo bottle.

That’s it! It is super easy and works great.

NOTE: I added the glycerin in the last two batches and it thickens up the recipe nicely. The recipe without it works great, but with the glycerin it has more of a “shampoo like” consistency. You can add up to 1/2 C for desired thickness.

Another note, it will separate when it sits, so just give it a good shake before shampooing.

Have you tried home made shampoo? What is your recipe? Do you like it?

I get my essential oils Here, my other oils I work with here and the coconut milk at Sprouts or I make my own with coconut flakes I get from Tropical Traditions.

***Announcing Natural Herbal Living Magazine 2013***

Do you love herbs? Do you want to learn to build a wonderful lasting relationship with twelve herbs a year? You will learn all about the herb, essential oil, flower essence, then you get to learn all about how several different experienced herbalists use this wonderful herb.

PLUS by pre-ordering on Kickstarter, you save money! Who doesn’t love saving money?

Read more about this great magazine coming out September 2013 here!

__________________________disclosure affiliate links Disclaimer General Health

This blog shared on: Tiny Tip TuesdayAnti-Procrastination TuesdayDomestically Divine TuesdayFrugal Tip TuesdayShow Me What You Got, Wildcrafting WednesdayFrugal Days Sustainable WaysHealthy 2 DayHomemaking Link UpPenny Pinching PartySuper Link PartyWorks For Me WednesdayDIY Linky

63 Responses to Home Made Anti-Dandruff Shampoo

1. Jaime says:

I am in Medellin, colombia and get NOT find liquid castile soap (like Dr. Bronner’s). What can I substitute?
    Thanks

You can try another gentle natural soap like coconut oil soap (lye is hard on the hair so a gentle natural oil soap). If you can get a bar you can grate it with a cheese grater and add it to the coconut oil on low heat until it melts. I hope that helps!

• Val says:

Liquid castile soaps and other natural bar soaps are ALL made with lye … but once the chemical reaction takes place between the oils & lye, there is NO lye left to be ‘hard’ on your hair or other parts of the body. (Soap isn’t true ‘soap’ without lye. The FDA allows detergents to be marketed as ‘soap’ because they clean like soap. Just like your thumb isn’t really a finger, but we all say we have 10 ‘fingers’.)

2. This looks neat! I have been “collecting” homemade soap, shampoo, lotion, etc. recipes . This is definitely going on my list!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)
    ~Susie~

3. Thank you for joining the Frugal Tuesday Tip. For the reader above, I wonder if shaving castile bar soap into a quart jar and filling with water would make a decent substitute.

4. This is great! I’ve been looking for a shampoo specifically for dandruff, so very excited to give this a shot!

Thanks so much for sharing at Tiny Tip Tuesday!

5. Cat says:

Have you tried adding a little vegetable glycerin and some castor oil to thicken it?

I have not but its a good idea! I am making another batch soon. Ill let you know how it turns out.

• Eva says:

How to get rid of mounds of daundrff (Scalp Problem)?Ok I have a lot of daundrff in my hair and even if I wash my hair w/ anti-daundrff shampoo/conditioner it still won’t work. And I hate getting teased by my friends so reply ASAP please! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I used to have bloody scabs before on my scalp but already healed. What are SIMPLE and easy remedies to get rid of a lot of daundrff?

• scinia says:

You can try using paste of fenugreek seeds or lemon juice mixed with plain yogurt or a combination of three. Apple Cider Vinegar mixed in water to rinse hair after wash also works well. Massaging scalp with warm coconut oil prior to shampooing also works.
          Disclaimer- these are home remedies and results may vary.

• Jennifer says:

I put emu oil or mix emu/tea tree/neem oil and apply to the scalp in the evening or before bed leaving it all night(dropper bottle helps). Just wash out with next shampoo. No guarantees but it works wonders for me. Usually use 1-3x per week. also add coconut milk to my shampoo

6. Hannah P. says:

Powdered oatmeal will help it to congeal. Just make sure that it’s finely powdered, or else you’ll end up with oatmeal bits in your hair. ;)

7. Kay says:

Eva,
    it sounds like you have psoriasis, not dandruff. Do you get a painful red scalp, followed at times by scabs. Does it sometimes hurt to comb your hair? Are you very sensitive to shampoos, conditioners and hair dye? If the answer is yes, then this could be psoriasis and I suggest you go to the doctor. I have all these symptoms that get markedly worse if I use chemicals on my scalp (including hair gel/mouse!)
    Hope that helps

Kay

8. Chelsea says:

love this!! shampoos you buy at the drug store are full of chemicals. This is a great alternative! Would you recommend using this recipe for every wash, even if you don’t have dandruff?

9. Emily Blanchard says:

I have been looking for a post like this for a while…. My head is so itchy and the longer I nurse the worse it is getting. Gonna try this very soon!!!!! Thank you so much. Also, how do I set up affiliate links like yours to help pay for my soon to be blog/ website?

I hope you like it! You still might have to tweak the essential oils until you find what works best for you, but these work well for us :) Ill message you about the blog stuff.

10. Joyce Vang says:

Where can I find the coconut milk? Is that in the food aisle or health and beauty section?

11. Joyce says:

Nevermind, I see that it’s a milk in the dairy section. This is what I get when I don’t look at the picture carefully before posting. LOL

12. [...] 8. Homemade Anti-Dandruff Shampoo [...]

13. [...] haven't tried no-poo (yet) but while doing research about it I found this: Home Made Anti-Dandruff Shampoo | Natural Living Mamma I think the trick is the essential oils. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Reply With [...]

14. [...] year I posted the recipe I use for my husband’s anti-dandruff shampoo which is one of my most popular posts of 2012. Since then I have streamlined this shampoo thing to [...]

15. Sarah says:

Thanks for this post!! I’m curious…did you choose the combination of the oils for the smell? Or are they all beneficial to the dandruff or shampoo recipe? Thanks again!!

16. Andrea says:

What kind of conditioner would use after this shampoo?

I would use an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse (1 part ACV 5 parts water) to soften the hair if I need it. I only need to condition once a week or so.

17. Memsie says:

So i’m using the Dr Bonner’s Lavender castilled soap. Can i add lemon oil to it to treat my dandruff?

18. Becca says:

I’m going to pin this for possible future use… I tried a different homemade shampoo but didn’t like it much. :/
    Would you care to share and/or any other health posts at my Healthy Tuesday hop? Would enjoy having you join in. :) ahumblebumble.blogspot.com

They are tricky to find the right one that works for you. Let me know if you like it! My husband has been using it for over a year now and every time I try a new recipe he can tell right away. Ill try to hop on by after the kids are in bed :)

19. Ashley says:

Does it have to be refrigerated because of the coconut milk?

I find that, if I use canned coconut milk, it lasts about 2 weeks in the shower. That being said our bathroom is constantly about 60 degrees.

• Ashley says:

Thank you for your response. My house is pretty warm during the day as we don’t have air conditioner. If I kept it in the fridge would the coconut oil harden and ruin the shampoo?

20. [...] How To Make An Anti-Dandruff Shampoo [...]

21. Interesting combo of oils. I use tea tree and rosemary and they work amazingly well- I use the shampoo about once every two weeks and use baking soda the rest of the time. My hair has never looked better since ditching store bought shampoos and conditioners!

22. Jennifer says:

What do each of the EOs contribute to the shampoo’s effectiveness?

23. JDave says:

Hey there,

Thanks for this article. Just wondering how I could tweak this recipe for someone with a naturally very oily scalp + dandruff problem?

Thanks

24. [...] Home Made Anti-Dandruff Shampoo [...]

25. Ella says:

Could I use coconut cream instead of coconut milk?
    Thanks!

26. Jess says:

Some people would like to vinegar or black piper or orange juice but some people would like to mix it all for better effect towards getting rid of dandruff.

27. LeNore says:

I grew up in a humid climate and my natural curly hair always looked healthy. I’ve lived in the desert for the last 7 years and my hair has always looked like dry straw even when using all the argan oils and boy have a tried them all. I made this shampoo about 3 weeks ago and my hair looks so healthy. I use coconut oil in the mixture instead of the Jojoba – I’m sure the jojoba would be fine – and I also add Aloe to the mixture along with doTerra Lavender and Tea Tree. I will never use anything else :)

28. […] DIY Anti-Dandruff Shampoo […]

29. Kimmy says:

Can I make this without the coconut milk? What is it’s purpose? Would it keep longer in the shower without it? Thank you!

Yes you absolutely can. I omit it in my other recipe for that very reason. It adds some moisturizing to the hair, but I find it isn’t really necessary.

30. Katie says:

Do you have any suggestions for what could be added to prolong the shelf life on this, in case it takes longer than 2 weeks to use it up? Thanks!

31. Solardude says:

Is it “essential” to use 3 – 4 drops of all of the essential oils that you listed? On 1st read, I thought it was just 1 and got Ylang Ylang, but after reading the ingredients again, it seems you meant 3 – 4 drops of all 5 essential oils. I’m looking forward to trying this!

32. […] How To Make An Anti-Dandruff Shampoo […]

33. brandy says:

How long does coconut milk stay good for? will it go bad at room temperature, I put the remainder of the can in the fridge

This shampoo lasts in my shower for 3 weeks without any problems. The essential oils keep it from going rancid, although after 3 weeks I would probably dump it. You can make it without coconut milk and it still works well.

34. […] Click Here For DIY Anti Dandruff Shampoo Recipe […]

35. thanks for the article ,

36. Meghan says:

Using the bottle from the hospital is an awesome idea! I have three that I’ve saved with the idea that they’d be good for something. Now I know what! ;) I’m trying to figure out how to make a dandruff shampoo without using soap of any kind so how would I do a recipe without the castle soap or almond/coconut oils (my hair doesn’t let go of oil)? Is it possible just to mix lavender oil into something non-oily/soapy and follow it with ACV rinse? I’m trying to stay as basic as basic can get…

You can do more of a baking soda cleanse with whatever essential oils you think will work best for you. You don’t have to use soap. :)

37. lisa says:

do you have to use all of those essential oils i have geranium and melaluca and basil, the other 2 are a bit expensive, any substitutes

No I just made this for my husband who can’t use rosemary. You can just use Rosemary, peppermint or basil and melaleuca and it should work fine.