As I said in a previous post, I am poo free and love it! My husband on the other hand, is not. He really prefers to use shampoo to wash his hair daily, which is fine, except the shampoo he “needs” to use is a load of toxic crap. He ran out about two months ago so I decided, instead of spending almost $20 on a bottle of carcinogens I would try out some home made shampoo recipes and see if that helps him with his very bad dandruff.
I tried a few recipes that were okay and tried a shampoo bar too. He was not a fan of the shampoo bar, he said it was too drying. The other recipes did not help with his dandruff. My friend mentioned she uses the Coconut Milk Shampoo by One Good Thing by Jillee and loves it so I made a batch sans essential oils and again it worked well to clean the hair, but not great with the dandruff.
I modified the recipe a little bit for our specific needs and this is what I came up with. My husbands hair is nice and clean without any dandruff or itchiness! Score 1 for natural mamma kind.
Home Made Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
This home-made anti-dandruff shampoo will nourish your hair while soothing your scalp using the power of essential oils. This is a must-have recipe for anyone with dandruff. The recipe is also easily modified for other head and scalp concerns.
- 1/4 C Coconut Milk (You can make your own but I am too lazy and used store bought)
- 1/2 C Liquid Castile Soap (like Dr. Bronner’s from my affiliate at amazon)
- 1/4 C Vegetable Glycerin (for thickness) **Edit** I find it leaves less of an “oily” feel if you use 1/2 C Glycerin so play with it and do what is best for you)
- 2 tsp coconut, almond, or jojoba oil (I have used almond and coconut and in the summer when the bathroom stays warm coconut is the way to go)
- 3-4 drops each of these 100% Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils (you want the good stuff, fragrance oils can be toxic and you will not get the benefits you do from pure therapeutic grade essential oils like doTERRA): Melaleuca, Geranium, Ylang Ylang, Basil, Frankincense
- Combine all the ingredients, mix well and put into the bottle you will use. I tried re-using an old shampoo bottle but it apparently had a cracked bottom and leaked my shampoo on the counter SO I switched to a peri-bottle that I got from the hospital and never used after having N, and it makes a very good shampoo bottle.
That’s it! It is super easy and works great.
NOTE: I added the glycerin in the last two batches and it thickens up the recipe nicely. The recipe without it works great, but with the glycerin it has more of a “shampoo like” consistency. You can add up to 1/2 C for desired thickness.
Another note, it will separate when it sits, so just give it a good shake before shampooing.
Have you tried home made shampoo? What is your recipe? Do you like it?
***Announcing Natural Herbal Living Magazine 2013***
Do you love herbs? Do you want to learn to build a wonderful lasting relationship with twelve herbs a year? You will learn all about the herb, essential oil, flower essence, then you get to learn all about how several different experienced herbalists use this wonderful herb.
PLUS by pre-ordering on Kickstarter, you save money! Who doesn’t love saving money?
Read more about this great magazine coming out September 2013 here!
This blog shared on: Tiny Tip Tuesday, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Domestically Divine Tuesday, Frugal Tip Tuesday, Show Me What You Got, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Healthy 2 Day, Homemaking Link Up, Penny Pinching Party, Super Link Party, Works For Me Wednesday, DIY Linky
- Natural Living Monday - July 27, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - July 20, 2014
- Honey and Hemp Shampoo Bar Recipe and Cold Process Soap Making Book Review - July 17, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - July 13, 2014
- Watermelon Rosemary Lime Infused Water - July 10, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - July 6, 2014
- How to Teach Your Toddler About Money - July 1, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - June 29, 2014
- How To Eat Gluten Free On Vacation - June 26, 2014
- Crockpot Chicharon and Black Bean Tacos Recipe - June 25, 2014