I know I have mentioned on my Facebook page, but am not sure I have mentioned it here or not. On my road to healing I found that just being Gluten Free did not allow my body or gut to heal well enough so almost 2 months ago I made the switch to primal eating. That means NO grains! Now please don’t judge for the choices I made, there is a lot of valid reasoning behind it and there are much more educated and experienced people who write about it daily. I can say I am off of stomach meds for almost a week now for the first time in almost seven years! I am calling that some major success in my book.
I am not a primal/paleo blogger BUT I made a damn tasty dinner tonight and I wanted to share it with all of you. If you are a vegetarian/vegan ignore this post because it is smothered in baconey goodness.
First off, I bought some pork chops but am kind of getting bored with the normal grilled/baked meat with some seasoning so I did some searching for pork chop recipes and got inspired. I did not have the ingredients for the stuffed pork recipe I found on line but I did have some great fresh herbs from my little garden to throw in instead.
Our “Little Garden” off of the ledge of the porch and on the ground because of high winds and tornado warning.
A quick tip about eating meat. Please be sure you are eating pastured meat, not grain fed tortured animals that are kept alive by the powers of science, antibiotics and hormones. At least get free range organic meat (hormone free/antibiotic free) for your own health. It costs more but is so much better for you, your family, and the environment.
My husband, daughter and I are the only ones who eat whole food as of now, and my daughter does not eat a whole lot so this recipe was more than enough for all of us.
Herb Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Pork Chops of Doomy Tastiness
- 2 Pork Chops: Butterfly Cut
- 1 Pat Pastured Butter
- 6 Cloves Fresh Garlic
- 1/4 C Chopped Nettles (Boiled in chicken stock to remove the stingers or to re hydrate if dry. I have some dry nettle leaf that is almost a year old I have been using in everything to get rid of it before its expiration date. You can sub spinach or kale if you don’t have any nettles on hand.)
- 1 Spring Onion (greens included)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley
- 1 tbsp Fresh Chives
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 10 Pieces of Bacon
Finely chop and saute garlic, onion, nettles, parsley and chives.
Butterfly cut pork chops, dab in the herb mixture, and wrap in bacon.
Cook for 30 minutes, then turn on the broiler until bacon looks tasty (about 10 min)
Served with glazed carrots:
- 6 Chopped Carrots (skin still on )
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Honey
Saute carrots in oil until soft, right before turning off the burner add honey and stir.
This was very easy to make, and very tasty. Highly nutritious too if you count all of the herbey goodness.
I can’t tell you how excited I am to be able to cook with fresh herbs from the “yard” again! Food just tastes so much more alive and vibrant.
What are some of your favorite recipes to make with fresh herbs?
This blog was shared on: Foodie Friday, DIY Linky, Link and Greet, Say G’Day Linky, The Morris Tribe Homesteader Carnival, Fat Tuesday, Tiny Tip Tuesday, Scratch Cookin Tuesday, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Show Me What Ya Got, Homemaking Link Up, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Whole Food Wednesdays, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Healthy2Day, Homemaking Link Up, Real Food Wednesdays, Whole Food Wednesdays, Wednesday Link Up, Wildcrafting Wednesday, It’s a Keeper Thursday
- 15 Natural Life Hacks Using Tea - August 12, 2014
- Gut Soothing Herbal Tea Blend - August 7, 2014
- Heath Benefits of Tea – Camellia sinensis Materia Medica - August 5, 2014
- Honey and Hemp Shampoo Bar Recipe and Cold Process Soap Making Book Review - July 17, 2014
- Watermelon Rosemary Lime Infused Water - July 10, 2014
- How to Teach Your Toddler About Money - July 1, 2014
- How To Eat Gluten Free On Vacation - June 26, 2014
- Crockpot Chicharon and Black Bean Tacos Recipe - June 25, 2014
- Natural Herbal Living Magazine – Print Edition - June 20, 2014
- GlassDharma Straws – Review and Giveaway - June 14, 2014