550px-Dry-Brush-Your-Skin-Step-2

Did you know your skin is the biggest organ on your body?  It makes up about 1/4 of the detoxification your body goes through every day through your sweat and sebaceous glands.

In my previous article about my gentle detox routine I mentioned that I try to dry skin brush every morning. I do this to open up my pores, get rid of dry skin, improve my skin elasticity, decrease cellulite, and aid my body in its daily detoxification efforts.

Our skin is permeable and porous. This means it absorbs what you put on it, which is a good reason to cut out the toxic body care products you use. A herbalist once told me that 40% of what you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body. Imagine how much toxic junk people put on their skin in the name of beauty. If you are using toxic crap, it is time to switch to more natural, less toxic body care in order for skin brushing to be effective.

Your skin gets 1/3 of your blood supply, but gets vital nutrients last, thus showing issues you may have going on in your body in your skin before you may notice symptoms elsewhere. This can show up in dry itchy skin, over production of oil, acne, eczema, psoriasis, hives, and many other ways. To aid our bodies in detoxification we need to make sure our skin is open and able to excrete toxins.

By brushing our skin with a natural bristle dry brush, we are removing dry skin and debris opening up the pores so that we can better excrete toxins, excess acid, and bodily waste.

Dry skin brushing also helps get the lymph and blood moving through the body. You brush your body all over, pushing the brush up toward your heart with all strokes. This moves the lymph and blood through your system and helps it get filtered through the appropriate organs to remove toxins and gives your immune system a nice boost.

People have also noticed a reduction in cellulite after dry skin brushing daily for several months! Not only does it help you detox, but it can help you look better too. Bonus!

When you dry skin brush be sure to use a natural fiber, hard bristle brush. You will want two. A large one for your body (preferably with a handle so you can get your back easily), and a smaller brush with less firm bristles for your face.

How to dry skin brush:

dryskinbrush1

1. Brush your body first thing in the morning, before you shower or bathe.

2. Start at your feet and work your way up, brushing in circular motions, and straight up toward your heart. I have read both ways and do both my self, toddler willing.

Be sure not to avoid sensitive areas like behind your knees, where your elbows bend, under your arms, and on your neck. These areas have lymph nodes and lymph tends to pool in these places causing all sorts of health issues. Brush there too to help getting everything moving in the morning.

Be sure to avoid open broken skin.

3. After you have brushed, be sure to take a shower to invigorate the skin. You can even try alternating the water from hot to cold to get the blood flowing. It will certainly wake you up.

4. After getting out of the shower dry off vigorously, keeping that blood flowing, and use a natural plant-based oil as a moisturizer. Almond and Coconut oil are two of my favorite non clogging oils that leave my skin nice and soft, absorb well, and do not clog pores. Bonus with the coconut oil is you smell like coconut all day!

Keep in mind any well designed detox program needs at least 30 days of constant application to see results. I challenge you to dry skin brush for 30 days and see how you feel.

For more information on natural health and wellness, check out “What is in my natural medicine cabinet”.

Are you up for the dry skin brush challenge? What results are you hoping for?

***Announcing Natural Herbal Living Magazine 2013***

Do you love herbs? Do you want to learn to build a wonderful lasting relationship with twelve herbs a year? You will learn all about the herb, essential oil, flower essence, then you get to learn all about how several different experienced herbalists use this wonderful herb.

PLUS by pre-ordering on Kickstarter, you save money! Who doesn’t love saving money?

Read more about this great magazine coming out September 2013 here!

Disclaimer General Health disclosure affiliate links

Shared on The Morris Tribe’s Blog Carnival, Wild Crafting Wednesday

26 Responses to Dry Skin Brushing: A Gentle Detox

1. heidi says:

thanks for the great posts! i’m new to this detox thing and was just wondering about the oils you apply to your skin after showering…do you apply these to your face as well? i have dry, uneven skin and am prone to eczema, yet i tend to break out easily if oil gets on my face. thanks 🙂

Yes I do put them on my face. Have you put pure oil directly on your face after the shower? Coconut and almond oil are both wonderful for eczema and evening out skin complexion. I use both after the shower depending on what I feel like that day. I would suggest applying the oil to your skin before the shower (10 ish minutes if you can) and letting it soak into your skin. Then when you get into the shower let the oil steam into your skin (dont rinse it off), and at the end of the shower just wipe your face with a warm wash cloth. The oil will pull the impurities from your skin and leave it nice and clean and smooth. You might brake out a little bit for the first week, but after that initial detox period should be nice and clear.

• Theresa says:

Hmmm….might just try using my fractionated coconut oil tonight.
        Sorry, but the teacher in me must correct your spelling—it is break (not
        brake) that should be used in your last sentence.

• Lisa says:

I use a combination of olive oil and castor oil on my face. I was told the castor oil penetrates and helps break up clogged pores and, of course, the olive oil softens. I rub it in after my shower, massaging gently to help with lymph drainage. Then I use a warm washcloth to “steam” my face and then to remove the excess oil. I have been able to get rid of all my old lotions, potions, creams, serums, etc. Much simpler and more effective!

2. Whitney says:

Would cold pressed olive oil be okay to use?

It would be fine. The reason I don’t use olive oil is I don’t like to smell like Italian food all day! 😉 It isn’t actually that strong, I think I am just sensitive to the smell.

3. Mandy says:

I would like to try this. I am looking for a natural fiber brush and am coming across vegetable fiber brushes. But I do not know what vegetable fibers are used? I have bad eczema and allergies to most foods. Can you reccomend a good brush?

Here is a boar hair brush that might work better. Some of them are pretty specific with what vegetable fibers are used. There are bamboo and cactus fiber brushes. I like bamboo. I linked a few to my astore (through amazon) to make them easy to find for you.

4. Emma says:

Is this technique safe for breastfeeding mamas to do? Thank you for all of this helpful info 🙂

Yes! It helps the toxins come out the skin instead of the blood/milk. I did it while pregnant and BFing (I am bfing currently too).

5. […] you are new to skin brushing, check out this easy guide to get your […]

6. […] 7. Dry Skin Brushing, A Gentle Detox […]

7. Angie Elza says:

Where do you find the brushes? Thanks so much – love these alternative methods to take care of our bodies…so tired of the chemicals in everything.

I find them on Amazon. I linked a few in the post, they are labeled with “(affiliate link)”. Those are the best I could find on Amazon at the time, and the ones I have.

8. Terry Claxton says:

Do you need to shower after for this to work?

9. I’ve heard about this but never tried it. Thanks! Sharing on Fb right now.

10. Miss Keating Johnnie says:

Thanks for the information…..I actually learned about this during a spa treatment on a cruise ship….I got out of the habit of doing this every day after I had surgery….think it is time to start again. I have a bamboo bristle brush that has a detachable long handle as well as a hand strap?…They used red alge after the shower it was very expensive, I am going to try the coconut oil.

11. […] Dry Skin Brushing from Natural Living Mamma […]

12. Nic says:

About 5 days ago I started dry skin brushing. I am no experiencing flu like symptoms and not feeling good at all. I am hoping this is a good sign and that all the crap in my body will leave. Is this a normal side effect? Has anyone else experienced the same sort of thing?

Generally most people don’t have flu like symptoms but it can happen if you had very stagnate lymph and it just started moving. You might just be getting sick. It might be a detox. Try supporting your liver with a good herbal tea like a dandelion root and ginger decoction with a bit of honey or adding milk thistle to your food.

13. […] to detoxify, focus on nutrient density, and do gentle supports like epsom salt baths, saunas and dry skin brushing. Listen to Sarah Ballantyne’s recent podcast for details on the science behind […]