Calendula officinalis - Also known as marigold or pot marigold.
Calendula’s bright flowers range in color from yellow to a bright orange. It has widely spaced toothy leaves and grows to a height of about 18 inches. Be sure not to confuse this bushy, aromatic annual with African or French Marigold.
It is a readily self seeding annual. Plant in direct sun with well drained soil with moderate water. Pick flower heads daily to encourage more growth. Calendula will repel eelworm in the garden and is a good companion plant for beans, lettuce, potatoes, roses and tomatoes.
Calendula is a great soothing herb for the skin. I use it in a lot of my salves, oil and skin care recipes to sooth and calm skin redness, rash, and irritation. It is good to treat cuts, burns, lacerations, bruises, diaper rash, sprains and inflammation. It promotes rapid healing and helps minimize scarring.
Calendula is great in a poultice for sore nipples, ulcers, sprains and varicose veins.
It is also a very good lymphatic herb that helps thin and drain lymph that sometimes gets clogged and congested. My husband had very thick lymph around his neck and ears that was causing ear issues and with massage, and Calendula tea, his lymph drainage improved and so did his ear problems. It also boosts immunity by increasing lymphatic drainage. Note that Calendula tea will make you pee a lot, and this is a good thing. Just be sure to drink plenty of water with it to help aid the body in the clearing of toxins from the body.
I hope you can see why this wonderful and beautiful herb is always at hand in my herbal “Medicine Cabinet“.
How do you use Calendula?
Shared on Wildcrafting Wednesday.
- Natural Living Monday - July 27, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - July 20, 2014
- Honey and Hemp Shampoo Bar Recipe and Cold Process Soap Making Book Review - July 17, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - July 13, 2014
- Watermelon Rosemary Lime Infused Water - July 10, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - July 6, 2014
- How to Teach Your Toddler About Money - July 1, 2014
- Natural Living Monday - June 29, 2014
- How To Eat Gluten Free On Vacation - June 26, 2014
- Crockpot Chicharon and Black Bean Tacos Recipe - June 25, 2014