I asked a good friend of mine, Caitlin, to write a guest post for me about the amazing Orange Vinegar cleanser she is using. I am so excited she is sharing it with us!

______________________________________________________

Normally I look to Amanda for advice concerning all things green and crunchy as my family is in an ever evolving process to become as green as we can be. She has given me some of the best advice and encouragement, so I’m so very excited to be able to share a little something that I do on her blog.

When my daughter first started eating food I would freak out about cleaning her high chair. It could never, ever be cleaned right before she ate, only afterwards. And then after that it had to be wiped down with water to get off any chemicals that I could.

I was so stupid.

It never occurred to me that if I was so worried about harsh chemicals that I didn’t even have to use them. I progressed to using vinegar and baking soda mixed with water and a few drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle. It worked, but I noticed that it often left streaks or residue and I’d have to go back over it with water again anyway.

Until I discovered, dun dun dun! This!

Orange peels (or lemon or lime. Whatever floats your boat) soaked in vinegar. Miracle in a jar, folks. Especially for those of you who go through a ridiculous amount of oranges like we do. This is one of the easiest things that you can do. After you finish an orange, pop the peel into an old container and cover with vinegar. Don’t fill the vinegar to the top, only a little less than halfway as you’ll need room to add more peels. You can always add more vinegar as you go. Once it’s soaked for about two weeks it’s good to go! But if you have several jars soaking like I do (I have some more hiding under the counter) you won’t have to wait after that initial two weeks.

Here’s the easiest part. Fill a squirt bottle halfway with your orange-vinegar mixture and then top it off with water. Keep it at a 1:1 ratio, but don’t worry about measuring. I promise it’s not life or death, it’ll be OK if it’s a little off.

Spray, wipe, and enjoy the awesome smell and cleaning ability of citrus!

***Announcing Natural Herbal Living Magazine 2013***

Do you love herbs? Do you want to learn to build a wonderful lasting relationship with twelve herbs a year? You will learn all about the herb, essential oil, flower essence, then you get to learn all about how several different experienced herbalists use this wonderful herb.

PLUS by pre-ordering on Kickstarter, you save money! Who doesn’t love saving money?

Read more about this great magazine coming out September 2013 here!

Bio:

Caitlin is a wife, a mom, and a lover of words, living on an Air Force base in the middle of nowhere. Since having her daughter she’s turned to the green side and has enjoyed the changes that eating and living well has brought her family. She also blogs at All About Growing up and Becoming a Famous Author (Caitlin-lane.blogspot.com).

Shared on Frugal Days Sustainable Ways.

16 Responses to Orange you glad I didn’t say Windex? DIY Orange Cleaner.

1. Kittie Howard says:

I actually can’t wait to make this. Thank you, thank you. It’s pure genius. And I tweeted this post. Hope that’s okay. Have a great weekend.

2. Ashley says:

OMG! I’m going to try this! SOOO much better than what I use now.

• Carlos says:

Aren't you spesoupd to boil the water first to sterilize before the fermentation process to avoid contamination with other germs that may cause those molds and other growths? Just asking…. other procedures say so.Can anyone please clarify that? Do you guys mix stuffs without the boiling?Thanks….

The vinegar would prevent mold growth and you would filter the vinegar through a muslin cloth before adding the water. Because your vinegar would cover the orange peels completely you should not have any growth problems.

3. This sounds great! I want to try this!

4. [...] guest posted before about her awesome DIY Orange Cleaner last week. It was a huge hit! I am so glad so many people are interested in using it. She also [...]

5. Noor says:

I'd like to try that! I use GreenWorks right now. It works pretty well, but it doesn't really seem to get down to the nitty gritty when I need it to.

6. Amanda Campbell says:

Amanda!!! Ask her if we can use dried orange peels as well or if it has to be fresh?

Thanks!
    Amanda Campbell

Fresh orange peels will have more volatile oils and be better, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with dried orange peels.

• s says:

I dehydrated some oranges with the peel left on and decided not to eat them, so I used these with my solution and added more peels. This is the first time that I made the solution, hopefully it works.

7. indiana says:

i just ferment citrus peels [and any other fruit] with water to make an inexpensive acidic solution that helps brighten plant dyes [on cloth].

but this recipe makes sense because the vinegar smells so much nicer when sprayed about for cleaning

8. Christy says:

Thanks so much! Have a jar sitting on my counter now. I can’t wait to try it.

9. [...] Orange you glad I didn’t say Windex? DIY Orange Cleaner. | Natural …Jan 26, 2012 … I asked a good friend of mine, Caitlin, to write a guest post for me about the amazing Orange Vinegar cleanser she is using. I am so excited she … [...]