*This is not intended as medical or veterinary advice. Please consult your vet if your pet has any persistent or concerning problems.*

My parents have a dog named Baby. Baby has a nasty skin issue that “looks like elephant skin”, which he is pretty sure is caused by allergies. He chews on him self because he is super itchy and this chewing is causing Baby to get fungal and bacterial skin infections. His skin on his belly and parts of his chest are black because of skin damage he has from these persistent allergies. The vet has my parents giving him benedryl once or twice a day to help with the allergies, antibiotics for the bacteria, and a topical cream for the fungus. They have given him steroids, cortisone and all sorts of other stuff as needed too. Poor Baby just has it bad.

They are visiting this week and poor baby is so itchy! I felt so bad for him I mad him a itchy skin oil to help relieve some of the irritation. I don’t have any books about using oils on dogs so I used the same philosophy as I do with people. 40% of anything that comes into contact with your skin absorbs into your body, so I will not put anything on my skin that would hurt or injure me internally. I also did not choose anything that could be harmful to the dog unless he had an allergy to the ingredients.  I did a spot test on the dog skin a day before applying the oil over all his parts to check for redness and irritation. I would suggest doing this on anyone with sensitivities.

In the oil (10 oz container) I put:

4.5 oz Nettle infused olive oil

4.5 oz Plantain infused olive oil

4 oz calendula infused oil

30 drops Lavender essential oil

Apply the oil with clean cotton pads or balls, never double dipping in the oil. Always use a new cotton ball for every new area of application. Apply liberally to the effected aria (after spot testing to check for allergic reaction).

The reasons I chose these ingredients:

Nettle oil: Anti-Inflamitory,  very effective in scalp related problem like scaly scalp (dandruff) and psoriasis, increases blood circulation, great tonic to revitalize body, organ functioning and blood purification.

Plantain oil: used for bruises, bug bites, swellings, scarring, strained ligaments, muscles or tendons, rashes and skin irritations. Plantain is often used as a drawing agent, to draw out thorns, splinters or other foreign material.

Lavender essential oil:  lavender helps abscesses, acne, allergies, athlete’s feet and fungal infections, boils, bruises, burns, cold sores, cuts, dermatitis, eczema, hives, inflammations, insect bites, lice, psoriasis, rashes, ringworm, scabies, scars, shingles, stretch-marks, sunburns, and wounds.

Calendula essential oil: Good for dry and damaged skin, skin inflammations, rashes, diaper irritations, and other skin disorders.

***NOTE*** I have removed Tea Tree Oil from the formula. Although it is wonderful for itchy skin, fungal and bacterial infections it can be toxic when taken internally and pets have a tendency to try to lick any medicated creams or oils off. Because of this I have omitted it.

If I had other ingredients I would have also liked to use chamomile essential oil for the calming properties and vitamin E for a preservative and skin benefits but I did not have these handy. After three days of application the oil seems to help calm Baby’s itchiness and his black area seems to be lightening up in places. This calming healing oil seems to be helping. We have been applying the oil once a day to his belly, chest (he has a bald spot where he rubs a lot), on his paws and on the outside of his ears. I would like it applied twice a day but it doesn’t seem to be happening. That is life!

Did this help? I will post pictures and follow up as the use continues. I think it is reducing the blackness on his belly but we will have to wait and see with comparison photos. I will see my parents and their dog again in about two weeks after Thanksgiving.

8 Responses to Itchy Dog Oil: Oil for the itchy dog.

1. Yvette says:

The oil does help calm the itchiness and hair is starting to grow back. I gave some to the neighbor’s dog, who has a similar problem and it is working on him too.

2. money says:

This is a great post, thanks!

3. Barbara says:

Hi, I just read about the itchy dog and I am very glad that the oil mixture has helped this little dog out some. I thought that I would tell you after reading all about Baby that sometimes and more than not the food that a person feeds the dog has a LOT to do with allergies. And veterinarians DO NOT know that much about diet because when they are in vet school the big dog food companies go into the schools for the week that they may be getting into diets for dogs and they tell the students that they don’t have to worry about the nutrition of their patients that they will take care of everything for them if they just carry their commercial food and offer it for sale to all of their patients. The main companies that do this is the Hills Corporation and they supply the offices with the prescription diets and then their is Science Diet and Iams used to go to the school but they sold out to Proctor and Gamble… Anyway the vets are offered a life time of dog food for all of their dogs if they push their food in their offices. So as a rule vets do not know anything about canine nutrition. I have been studying this for over 13 years now and I will tell you that if their is any grain in the dogs food or if it is a grocery store brand or if the food had gotten too hot in a warehouse somewhere that this could be causing the dog all of the allergy problems. And the culprit to all of these allergies is a grain mite that cannot be seen except under a microscope. The mite causes horrible allergies for dog and the vets either don’t know about it or they are not going to tell you because then they cannot sell you all of the medication that they tell you your dog needs. They make a lot of money by not telling you what is in dog food. Which by the way you would never believe what they put into dog food. But that is another story for some other time. Any way this mite has been found to produce Microtoxins that canines are extremely and horribly allergic to and so there is nothing that is going to cure him or her of this problem unless you get rid of all dry kibble and especially if it has grains in it. So then you have to do your own research for what you are going to feed your pooch. I never feed my dogs anything commercial from any store because I don’t believe a word of what they have to say. This is why I have been studying dog nutrition for over 13 years now. Best wishes for this little dog “Baby” Thanks so much for your time… SIncerely, Barbara in Michigan

Thanks for your response Barbara. Its funny how both human and pet doctors are lacking in proper nutritional training and I agree with you 100%. Baby is on a grain free kibble that is a pretty good quality. It isn’t ideal but it is definitely better than what they push at vets offices to be sure!

• Mary says:

This is a rather ‘inflammatory’ comment…. as a DVM, I can testify that we do NOT receive food for life for our pets for promoting anything. While in vet school, when many of us were nearly flat broke but had multiple 4 legged mouths to feed due to our love of pets, we did receive an occasional free bag, and some discounts. Throughout my 16 year career, I have attended many, many dermatologic conferences, and food is thoroughly discussed as a potential source of allergens. Ingredients are always listed on each package, it is required by law. Home cooking for your pets is acceptable, only with a valid understanding of what pets need. Ignorance of this can cause long term health effects.
      Please do not ‘slam’ an entire group of people who have invested their lives, and tens of thousands of their money toward helping animals.

4. annie says:

Just returned from vet due to my jack russell having allergies. $$$ but also antibiotics and prednisone for 6 weeks. Where do i get nettle? I have plantain on my lawn somewhere. The oils i can buy. I used tea tree oil, rawleighs oingtment, oatmeal baths, benadryl, Cotivet spray and polysporin cream. In ten days went from bad to worse. She looks terrible. It doesnt look like mainge. But this is the worst i have seen her.

The quickest place to get it would be Amazon with their two day shipping. Search for “Organic Nettle Leaf”. I hope your pup feels better soon! I know a good animal herbalist who does consultations that I can connect you with too if you like.

5. Katie H. says:

Tea tree oil is actually toxic to dogs. You might want to reformulate this. Sorry!